Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
This Kung Pao Chicken is so full of flavor and is better than takeout!
This Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken is better than takeout and made right in the slow cooker. Tender chicken, chilis, and veggies cook in a sweet and spicy sauce with peanuts for crunch.
There is nothing I love more than takeout on a busy night! Then I found out I could make our favorite take-out chicken in the slow cooker.
I can just throw everything in the slow cooker and have a delicious meal better than takeout in no time!
A quick fry in the skillet to get the chicken crispy and then the chicken and sauce go in the slow cooker with some red bell pepper, dried red pepper and peanuts and cook up to perfection!
The sauce gets nice, thick and sticky and glazy. The chicken gets ridiculously melt in your mouth tender. The peanuts get soft and creamy. The sauce thickens up beautifully and is glazes the chicken and is delicious over rice. This dinner is such a crowd-pleaser.
And let me tell you, just like takeout this makes for some incredible leftovers. This Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken is a crowd-pleaser and really family-friendly.
You will want to make this dinner again and again! We do!
You will love this recipe because it is
- Easy and fast.
- Family friendly.
- Budget friendly.
- Full of flavor.
- A set it and forget it meal.
- Copycat Takeout!
- Perfect for weeknights.
My favorite slow cooker for this recipe is this Hamilton Beach one.
Can I use any chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs, whichever you prefer. You could even swap out for pork.
Can I add other vegetables?
There are many veggies that would be great in this recipe. Broccoli, carrots, green bell pepper or even snow peas would also be fabulous in this.
Can I substitute the peanuts?
While this dish is known for the peanuts you can certainly swap out the peanuts for cashews, sliced almonds, or walnuts. If you have a nut allergy you can omit them all together and the dish will still be great!
● Chicken tenderloins- I like using these because they get nice and tender.
● Cornstarch- these are for lightly coating the chicken and crisping up the chicken.
● Vegetable oil- for frying the chicken, you can also use canola or peanut.
● Red bell pepper- this adds color and sweetness.
● Lite or low sodium soy sauce- I always use low sodium soy sauce to cut down on saltiness
● Ketchup- this helps create a base for the sauce
● Brown sugar- this give the dish sweetness and helps glaze the chicken
● Garlic- minced fresh garlic is best but you could always use garlic powder
● Zucchini- this is a great veggie in this dish and is delicious!
● Ginger- you can grate in a little fresh instead of the powder
● Dried red chilies-seeded and sliced, these give this dish it’s pow.
● Apple cider vinegar- this gives this dish a tang.
● Peanuts- I use dry roasted ones.
● Scallions- I garnish with these at the end and they add color and flavor.
How to make this Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- In a large skillet heat the oil.
- Toss the cubed chicken with the cornstarch.
- Quickly brown the chicken in the pan until it has color.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add in your red bell pepper, zucchini, and red chilis to the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl combine the water, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, ginger and peanuts.
- Stir and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Want more Slow Cooker Take Out? Check these out!
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Korean Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef
- Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken
Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
- ● 2 pounds chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- ● ¼ cup cornstarch
- ● 2 tablespoons oil
- ● 8 dried red chilies, seeded and sliced
- ● 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- ● 1 zucchini, cubed
- ● ⅓ cup water
- ● ⅓ cup lite soy sauce
- ● ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ● ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ● 2 tablespoons ketchup
- ● 4 cloves garlic
- ● ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ● ⅓ cup peanuts
- ● Green onions and more peanuts for garnish
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat heat the 2 tablespoons of oil.
2. Toss the cubed chicken with the cornstarch.
3. Quickly brown the chicken in the pan until it has color. You are
not looking to cook the chicken through, just get some color on it.
4. Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
5. Add in your red bell pepper, zucchini, and red chilis to the slow cooker.
6. In a mixing bowl combine the water, soy sauce, vinegar,
brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, ginger and peanuts.
7. Stir and pour over the chicken.
8. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
● Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
● You can substitute the vegetables for your favorite veggies, broccoli would be wonderful in this!
● Keep an eye on this dish as the sugars can start to burn depending on how hot your slow cooker cooks.