This Slow Cooker Chicken is so full of flavor and is better than take out!
We are obsessed with this Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken! Skip the take out and make this classic right at home in your slow cooker! The chicken comes out perfectly tender and cooks up in a sweet savory sauce with red bell pepper and the star of the show cashews! The sauce thickens up beautifully and is glazes the chicken and is delicious over rice. This dinner is such a crowd pleaser.
There is nothing I love more than take out on a busy night! Then I found out I could make our favorite take out chicken in the slow cooker.
I can just throw everything in the slow cooker and have a delicious meal better than take out in no time!
A quick fry in the skillet to get the chicken crispy and then the chicken and sauce goes in the slow cooker with some red bell pepper and cashews and cooks up to perfection!
The sauce gets nice a thick and sticky and glazy. The chicken gets ridiculously melt in your mouth tender. The cashews get soft and creamy. This dinner is perfect over a bed of white rice.
And let me tell you, just like takeout this makes for some incredible leftovers. This chicken is a crowd pleaser and really family friendly.
You will want to make this dinner again and again! We do!
You will love this recipe because it is
- Easy and fast.
- Family friendly.
- Budget friendly.
- Full of flavor.
- A set it and forget it meal.
- Perfect for weeknights.
My favorite slow cooker for this recipe is this Hamilton Beach one.
Can I use any chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs, whichever you prefer.
Can I add other vegetables?
There are many veggies that would be great in this recipe. Broccoli, carrots, green bell pepper or even snow peas would also be fabulous in this.
Can I substitute the cashews?
While this dish is called Cashew Chicken you can certainly swap out the cashews for peanuts, sliced almond, peanuts or walnuts. If you have a nut allergy you can omit them all together.
● Chicken tenderloins- I like using these because they get nice and tender.
● Cornstarch- these are for lightly coating the chicken and crisping up the chicken.
● Vegetable oil- for frying the chicken, you can also use canola or peanut.
● Red bell pepper- this adds color and sweetness.
● Lite or low sodium soy sauce- I always use low sodium soy sauce to cut down on saltiness
● Ketchup- this helps create a base for the sauce
● Brown sugar- this give the dish sweetness and helps glaze the chicken
● Garlic- minced fresh garlic is best but you could always use garlic powder
● Black pepper- for flavor
● Ginger- you can grate in a little fresh instead of the powder
● Red pepper flakes- for a little kick, add more if you prefer
● Sesame seeds- these add a little flavor and look great as a garnish
● Cashews- the star of the show. I use roasted ones.
● Scallions- I garnish with these at the end and they add color and flavor.
How to make this Cashew Chicken
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch.
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet.
- Brown the chicken quickly in the pan.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped red bell pepper.
- Combine the soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Add the cashews and stir everything to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
- 11. Serve over rice.
Want more Slow Cooker Take Out? Check these out!
- Slow Cooker Korean Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef
- Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken
- ● 2 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into bite size pieces
- ● 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ● 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ● 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ● 1 cup lite or low sodium soy sauce
- ● ½ cup ketchup
- ● 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- ● 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ● ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ● ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ● ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ● 1 teaspoon sesame seeds plus ore for garnish
- ● 1 cup cashews
- ● 3 scallions, sliced
1. Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch.
2. Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Brown the chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook
the chicken through, just get a little color on each side.
4. Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
5. Add the chopped red bell pepper.
6. In a mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar,
garlic, pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
7. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
8. Add the cashews and stir everything to combine.
9. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
10. Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame
● Store leftovers in an airight container for up to 3 days.
● You can wait and add the cashews right before serving if you prefer them a little crunchier.
● You can add more red pepper flakes or some sriracha for a spicy kick.
● You can substitute chicken thighs for the tenderloins.