This Orange Chicken is so full of flavor and better than takeout!
This Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is my favorite way to get a take-out classic right at home in my slow cooker! Tender chicken gets nice and glazy in a sweet and savory orange sauce. This is always a family-friendly crowd-pleaser!
There is nothing I love more than picking up the phone and ordering takeout on a busy night! Then I found out I could make our favorite take-out orange chicken right in the slow cooker. Orange chicken is something I know my whole family will eat but of course I wanted to make it easier in the slow cooker and this easy recipe with it’s easy steps is a great recipe.
I can just throw everything in the slow cooker and have a delicious meal I promise is better than take out in no time!
Crispy chicken cooks up nice and tender in a sweet sticky orange sauce made with simple ingredients.
I love that you can customize this to your family’s taste, make it more spicy, more sweet, add veggies, serve it over white rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice or lo mein or chow mein noodles. Just add a quick side of broccoli and you have a fabulous dinner.
And let me tell you, just like takeout this makes for some incredible leftovers. That is the best part of take out right? The leftovers! This chicken is a crowd-pleaser and really family-friendly, even my kids can’t get enough of this chicken. This is even great next day leftover. The sticky sauce is perfect over rice and veggies and makes this dish!
Next time you want to order take out just throw these ingredients together and let the slow cooker take care of the rest creating this easy dinner in a flavorful sauce.
I promise your entire family will love this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken.
You will want to make this crockpot orange chicken recipe again and again! We do!
You will love this delicious orange chicken because it is
- Easy and fast.
- Family friendly.
- Budget friendly.
- Full of flavor.
- A set it and forget it meal.
- Perfect for busy weeknights.
- Family favorite.
My favorite slow cooker for this recipe is this Hamilton Beach one.
Can I use any chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs, whichever you prefer. I like the tenderloins because they do seem to come out more tender.
Can I add vegetables?
There are many veggies that would be great in this recipe. Broccoli, carrots, green bell pepper, onions or even snowpeas would also be fabulous in this.
Can I make this more spicy?
You can add a couple more pinches of red pepper flakes or sriracha to give this a kick.
● Chicken tenderloins- You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs but I find the tenderloins come out super tender and gives you the best juicy chicken.
● Corn starch- gives the chicken it’s crispy exterior
● Vegetable oil- use whatever oil you like, it’s to fry the chicken up in
● Orange marmalade- This is where all the orange flavors comes in from this sweet orange marmalade.
● Low sodium soy sauce- I always use low sodium to cut down on the sodium content
● Vinegar- this gives it a bit of tang. You can use rice vinegar or any vinegar you have on hand.
● Sesame oil- this is optional but gives it a great flavor
● Ground ginger- I love using ground because I can keep it on hand
● Garlic cloves- You can use as much as you want
● Red pepper flakes- You can leave this out or add more depending on your family’s taste
● Sesame seeds- For a little flavor and crunch
● Scallions- I love the pop the green onions give this dish.
How to make this Orange Chicken
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch.
- Brown the chicken quickly in the pan.
- Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
- Combine the marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
- Pour the sauce ingredients over the chicken.
- Stir everything to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours in your crock pot.
- Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame
- Serve over rice!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Want more Slow Cooker Take Out? Check these out!
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Korean Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Beef
- Slow Cooker Chinese Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into bite size pieces
- ● ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ● 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ● 1 1/2 cups orange marmalade
- ● 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- ● 2 tablespoons vinegar
- ● 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- ● 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ● 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ● ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ● 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, more for garnish
- ● Scallions for garnish
1. Coat your chicken pieces in cornstarch.
2. Heat up the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Brown the chicken quickly in the pan. We are not looking to cook
the chicken through, just get a little color on each side.
4. Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker.
5. In a mixing bowl combine the marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar,
sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
7. Stir everything to combine.
8. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours. Check and stir half way
through. Slow cookers cook differently so make sure to stir and
make sure your slow cooker isnt running too hot and burning the sauce.
9. Garnish with the scallions and a sprinkle of sesame
10. Serve over rice!
● Store leftovers in an airight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
● You can add more red pepper flakes if you like it a little more spicy.
● You can add veggies too this while cooking if you like. Red bell pepper would be great!