Meatball Vegetable Soup is always a favorite in my family. As soon as the weather gets a little chilly I make a huge batch of this soup and we eat it all week!
Meatball Vegetable Soup is the ultimate comfort food. Tender meatballs, your favorite veggies and pasta simmered in a delicious tomato base, yum!
Here in Virginia we don’t get as much snow as I would like, so when it does snow it is a big deal! As soon as I see there are going to be any flurries in the forecast I make a big batch of this soup. There is nothing like coming in after spending the day building snowmen and referring snow balls fights and having a big steamy bowl of this soup.
It is so full of veggies and hearty meatballs which makes it so filling and flavorful!
I love making this on super cold nights and serving it with grilled cheese, there is nothing more comforting.
While my family loves grilled cheese with it I prefer buttered saltine crackers, they are just heavenly, especially when dunked in that good tomato broth!
Now this soup is a good base, do not feel like you have to use the exact veggies I did. If you don’t like green beans, skip them, you like more lima beans, double the amount, you can add spinach or cabbage, any bean you like, it is up to you. Hate peas? Forget about em! You can make this soup your own!
This soup is my favorite because you can cook it on the stove, cook it in the slow cooker and even freeze it! I always make a double batch so I can keep my freezer stocked.
So now that it is getting chillier and chillier make this soup, it is family-friendly, picky eater approved and just plain old delicious!
Meatball Vegetable Soup
- Full recipes below
- Heat tomato paste and carrots and onions
- Add tomato sauce and water
- Add frozen veggies
- Add canned veggies
- Add meatballs
- Add macaroni
Can I freeze this?
One of my favorite things about this soup is that it freezes beautifully! I actually like to buy these containers just freezing this soup in. I can just pop one out of the freezer anytime I have a craving for this delicious soup. I don’t even thaw it, I just pop it into a sauce pan and add a splash of water and cover.
Can I use ground turkey?
You can! The soup will have a slightly different flavor as the ground beef adds richness to the broth, you can certainly substitute turkey but again it will have a different taste.
Can I cook this is the slow cooker?
You sure can!! Just add everything except the meatballs and noodles to the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. Then turn it to high and add in your meatballs (make sure the soup is bubbling) and let them cook for about 1-2 hours. Add in the noodles about half an hour before ready to serve.
Want more soup recipes? Check out these!
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 29 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 12 ounce frozen lima beans
- 12 ounce frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cans whole potatoes, chopped
- 1 can green beans drained
- 1 can navy beans or white cannelli beans drained
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup macaroni noodles
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot on medium heat add your chopped onions, chopped carrot and tomato paste.
- Stir until combined and starts heating through and becoming fragrant.
- Add the can of tomato sauce and then fill it with water one and a half times, adding it to the pot
- Bring to a bubble and add in the lima beans, corn and peas.
- Simmer for 15 minutes
- Add in canned vegetables
- Roll hamburger into meatballs, I do about 1 inch balls but you can make them as large or as little as you like
- Drop the meatballs into the bubbling soup one by one
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until ready to eat
- 10 minutes before you are ready to eat add in 1 cup of macaroni noodles and simmer till noodles are tender.