Copycat TacoBell Mexican Pizza lets you skip the drive thru and make this delicious favorite at home! I have the secret to making them taste just right!
Copycat TacoBell Mexican Pizza is the drive thru favorite you can now make at home!
So we have talked a little about my TacoBell obsession before, I love it, I will not lie lol. I do go there once a week, ain’t no shame in my drive thru game lol.
Ever since I was little I can remember my mom and my grandma always getting the Mexican Pizza. I was happy with my kids meal and cinnamon twists to explore the menu (remember when they had kids meals?)
Then I got older and decided it was time to be like the women in my family and try these Mexican Pizzas (sans tomatoes because bleh lol).
It was love at first bite. Everything went together perfectly and I get them all the time now, I might just have to pick one up on my next visit lol. I love them so much that I wanted to make them at home and set about figuring out how.
Now the ingredients are simple and there were some recipes on Pinterest for them but I could tell just by looking they weren’t going to stack up to the original.
See the thing that makes the Mexican Pizza so delicious is its crispy shell. All the other copycat recipes I have seen have you using a tortilla thats been baked till crunchy or those crunchy corn tortilla discs. Neither of these will give you that authentic taste.
In order to achieve true copycat perfection you need my secret ingredient and that is refrigerated taco salad shells.
You can keep the toppings simple with just some diced tomato and scallion (remember when TacoBell used to have green onions)
These are a great quick dinner, everyone loves them. They can be customized to anyones liking and are a great way to use up leftover taco meat.
So make a Copycat TacoBell Mexican Pizza for your dinner tonight and skip the drive thru!
Copycat TacoBell Mexican Pizza
- This recipe makes 2 mexican pizzas
- Brown and drain hamburger and season with taco seasoning.
- Bake shells two at a time on cookie sheet till just golden
- Spread refried beans on 2 of the shells
- Divide the hamburger meat onto the beans
- On the remaining 2 shells spread taco sauce on each one
- Top with cheese and broil till melty
- Top with any toppings you like!
Can I skip the meat?
Of course! Just leave out the meat and these would make a fabulous Meatless Monday dinner!
I cannot find the shells anywhere?!?! What should I do!!??
Sadly since I first wrote this post a few years ago Walmart stopped carrying them. However quite a few other stores still do. You can go to the Azteca Foods website and use their store locator. You can also buy round crunchy corn tortilla shells that you can also use here. You can also fry soft flour tortillas and use those.
Can I spice this up?
Sure!! Use a pepperjack cheese on top, add a little heat to the meat seasoning or top with diced jalapenos.
Want more copy cat recipes? Check these out!
- Copycat TacoBell Meximelts
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Nuggets
- Copycat Wendys Chili
- Copycat Egg McMuffin
- Copycat Capt D’s Fried Fish
- 1/2 pound ground beef, browned, drained, seasoned with taco seasoning
- 4 taco bowl shells, see above for where to find
- 1 can refried beans
- 4 T taco sauce
- Shredded colby cheese
- Toppings, tomatoes, sour cream, scallions
- Brown drain and season the ground beef with your favorite taco seasoning.
- Bake the shells flat in the oven till just golden brown.
- Spread 2 of the shells with refried beans.
- Split the ground beef between the 2 shells.
- Spread 2 T of taco sauce on each of the remaining 2 shells.
- Top with cheese.
- Lightly broil the cheese and sauced shells till melty.
- Place those on top of the beef and bean shells.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!