Cream Cheese Mints are always a hit at the holidays and so easy to make!
Christmas Cream Cheese Mints are a classic, vintage Christmas treat. These little peppermint meltaway candies are the perfect holiday dessert. They come together so easy and are so cute. They make a great gift or perfect in a bowl on your holiday table.
I love making sweet treats for the holidays, especially Christmas. I really like making easy, festive treats that you can give as gifts or set out on a Christmas dessert platter, and these Cream Cheese Mints are always popular.
This candy is also called Buttermints or Meltaways. It is a simple candy made up of butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, peppermint extract and coloring.
The combination of those ingredients create a smooth, peppermint candy that just melts away in your mouth. They are sweet and creamy with a peppermint flavor that is perfect for the holidays.
You can make these all year round if you prefer, you can change the color of the mints and even the flavor. I like to seperate my batch into 3 colors for the holidays, red, green and I leave the last white which I add sprinkles to.
This is an impressive candy that is no bake, no cook, no thermometer needed, you just mix these ingredients and voila perfect holiday candy.
These are great to fill a bowl and set out for all your guests but they also make a fabulous gift. Fill a little tin or mason jar with these sweet treats and you have got a homemade present everyone will love.
I promise you will love making these Christmas Cream Cheese Mints this holiday season!
This candy is also really pretty on a dessert tray or piled up on a plate waiting for your guests to grab a piece.
Why This Recipes Works
- Great for gifting
- Perfect for entertaining
- Family Friendly
Can I use other colors?
Of course! You can leave them white and just add sprinkles. You can make them any color your prefer and you can make it even easier and just dye them one color instead of three if you like.
How else can I shape these?
I love the look of the little discs with the fork marks in the top but there are many different ways to shape these mints. You can just roll them into little balls. You can roll the dough out into a log and just cut off little pieces. I have even seen some people press them into little molds and then you have cute shaped mints. You can really make these into any shape you like.
What other flavorings can I use?
Traditionally these are peppermint flavored but feel free to experiment with your favorite flavorings like spearmint, lemon, cinnamon or even just vanilla if you like.
How long do these stay fresh?
This candy stays fresh in an airtight container for a week. You can keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month and in the freezer for up to 6 months! Perfect treats to make ahead.
What I used to make this candy
- Cream cheese – Make sure this is softened.
- Butter – I like to use unsalted for this recipe.
- Powdered sugar – You need powdered sugar for this recipe to work.
- Peppermint extract – Just a little bit will do. But you can switch out the peppermint for a different flavor if you like.
- Food coloring – I like to use red and green for the holidays.
- Christmas colored jimmies – I add these to the white batch of mints and they come out so pretty!
How to make Cream Cheese Mints
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add in the peppermint extract and 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Beat on low until all incorporated.
- Continue adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until all the powdered sugar has been incorporated. It should not be sticky and an almost playdoh consistency.
- Separate the dough into 3 bowl and color one bowl red, one green and then just add the sprinkles to the third.
- Roll about 1 teaspoon of the dough into a ball and place on a parchment lined tray.
- Dip a fork into powdered sugar and use the tines of the fork to press down the balls into a disk shape.
- Leave them to air dry for 2-4 hours.
Gather your ingredients.
Mix the cream cheese and butter.
Add the powdered sugar.
Mix into a dough.
Color if desired.
Form into mints.
Want more Christmas treat recipes? Check these out!
- Christmas Crack Candy
- Sugar Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- Peppermint Mocha Cheesecake Cookie Cups
- Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake Cookie Cups
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 0g