These Molasses Cookies are a delicious classic.
Giant Chewy Molasses Cookies are full of flavor, easy to make and a family favorite! They are a staple during the holidays. Perfectly spiced and chewy!
Giant Chewy Molasses Cookies have to be one of my all time favorite cookies! Every holiday season my grandma’s kitchen would fill with the scent of these delicious cookies and we would all wait eagerly to grab one fresh from the oven. I think these are my uncle’s and mine favorite cookies she makes, well besides her Noel Balls, man I love holiday cookies lol.
These cookies are good all year round but I especially love to make them in the Fall and Winter. The warm rich flavor of the molasses is like a warm quilt on a chilly day and the spicy sweet scent that comes from the oven and fills the whole house while they are baking is incredible!
While my grandma makes her molasses cookies regular size I thought it would be fun to super size them and make these giant cookies! There is just something about a big cookie that makes you have to have one! Plus their large size makes them perfect for sharing, not that you will want to lol.
These cookies are chewy and so flavorful! They are not a hard cookie or a cakey cookie both of which are bleh in my book. These are perfectly chewy and it is what makes them so irresistible!
A chewy cookie is my favorite and I think molasses cookies HAVE to be chewy.
I actually cut back on the amount of cinnamon and ginger most molasses cookie recipes call for because I really want the molasses flavor to shine through. I don’t want my molasses cookies to taste like gingerbread or else I would just make gingerbread cookies lol.
This is a really simple cookie recipe and great alternative to the same old sugar cookies that come around during the holidays.
A plate of these delicious cookies are a must have at every get together and they make a great gift to give a hostess or neighbor!
So any time you want a flavorful, chewy, giant cookie that will wow everyone and become your new favorite look no further than these Giant Chewy Molasses Cookies, they are amazing!!
Can I make these regular size?
Of course!! I like a giant cookie for the wow factor but feel free to make them whatever size you like, just adjust baking time accordingly (keep an eye on them)
Can I frost or glaze these?
Sure! Just use your favorite glaze or frosting recipe and go to town! They are also a welcome twist on holiday sugar cookies so feel free to use some festive sprinkles.
Can I freeze these?
Yes! Freeze them after baking for up to 2 months or freeze the dough to make cookies anytime you want!
What I used to make these cookies
- Butter – Make sure your butter is softened, this is how you make really good cookies.
- Sugar – Just regular granulated sugar is all you need in these cookies.
- Eggs – These help the cookies stay chewy.
- Molasses – This is where all the flavor comes from!
- Flour – All-purpose flour is all I use here.
- Ginger – Just a bit gives these cookies all the flavor they need.
- Baking soda – These help the cookies rise just a bit.
- Ground cinnamon – I love the little hint of cinnamon you get in these cookies.
- Coarse Sugar – This is optional but I use it to make the cookies pretty.
How to make Molasses Cookies
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and molasses.
- Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 3-in. balls and roll in coarse sugar.
- Place 3-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until tops are cracked.
Want more delicious cookie recipes? Check these out!
- Old Fashion Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Hostess Cupcake Cookies
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Cookies