This ham and swiss casserole is an easy way to serve up a delicious breakfast casserole.
This Ham and Swiss Croissant Bake is the ultimate breakfast casserole and it is make ahead! You just prep this the night before, pop it in the fridge overnight and the next morning you bake it and you have a delicious, decadent breakfast everyone loves. There is nothing I love more than an easy breakfast, especially one that is perfect for the holiday mornings!
This is a hit with kids and adults, and perfect for entertaining. I serve this every holiday for breakfast. We also love it as a great weekend breakfast. It has become a fast tradition in our family. Everyone loves this because it is hearty and so comforting.
Mini croissants are stuffed with ham and swiss and placed in a baking dish and covered in a rich mix of heavy cream, eggs and a touch of mustard. This is absolutely delicious and the perfect make ahead breakfast casserole.
Yes, this is a make-ahead casserole! My favorite kind of breakfast is a fast one and since this one you make the night before all you have to do in the morning is throw it in the oven and breakfast is ready.
This dish sits overnight so the croissants can soak up the custard mixture so everything comes together beautifully when baked.
I love ham and swiss croissants, they are my favorite sandwich! The croissants are so buttery and go perfectly with the salty ham and tangy mustard and to put it in breakfast form is just delicious!
This casserole is always great for any occasion but its great to even make at the start of the week and have for breakfast throughout the week.
This is also totally customizable to your family’s taste. You can swap out the flavor of cheese, change up the flavor of the ham, spice up the egg mixture. You can make this your own!
Also can we talk about how affordable this dish is? Everyone is feeling those rising grocery prices and this casserole is super affordable. Eggs are inexpensive and a little cheese and deli ham and you have a hearty dish that can feed a crowd.
This breakfast casserole is perfect for entertaining a brunch, any holiday or just to have on the weekend or a quick breakfast on those busy weekday mornings.
So give this Ham and Swiss Croissant Bake a try, I promise your whole family will love it!
- Deli ham- I like to use thin sliced deli ham and you can use the prepackaged kind or fresh sliced from the deli. This is also a great way to use up any leftover ham you may have. You can use any flavor ham, salty ham, sweet ham, black forest ham, use your favorite.
- Mini croissants- These are perfect in this dish and so buttery and flaky and absorb the liquid well.
- Swiss cheese slices- I love ham and swiss but you can swap out the cheese to your favorite. Cheddar, muenster or even pepperjack would be fabulous in this casserole.
- Eggs- You need some eggs to help bind everything together and make it a casserole.
- Heavy whipping cream- You cannot substitute this. Regular milk will not work in this recipe, you need the thickness of the heavy whipping cream to make this dish come together.
- Dijon mustard- This adds the perfect pop of flavor to the dish. You can use whatever flavor mustard you have on hand but the dijon really goes well with the ham, cheese and eggs.
How to make this ham and swiss croissant bake
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- Split croissants in half.
- Split each slice of cheese in half and place on half on either side inside of the croissant.
- Place 2 slices of ham in each croissant.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Place the stuffed croissants in the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream and mustard.
- Pour this mixture over the top of the croissants.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and place in the fridge for 8 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to serve preheat your oven to 350 degrees and uncover the dish and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through. If the top starts to get too brown before it is done cooking cover with foil.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Gather your ingredients.
Make the sandwiches and the egg mixture.
Pour the egg mixture over the croissants.
Bake and serve!
What kind of ham can I use?
I like to use thin sliced honey ham from the deli but your favorite flavor ham will work perfectly here. You can even use the prepackaged ham in the deli meat section, that will work great. This is also a good way to use up any leftover ham from the holidays.
What cheese can I use?
While ham and swiss is a classic combo that I love this works great with any cheese. Cheddar is perfect alongside the ham but you can also use muenster or pepper jack, anything you on hand would really work. I might stay away from mozzarella just because it would not add much in the flavor department.
What else can I add?
You can flavor up the egg mixture a millions ways. Season it up the way you like to flavor your scrambled eggs. You can add a little hot sauce, some green chiles. I love to add just a bit of cajun seasoning to the egg mixture.
Want more easy breakfast recipes? Check these out!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 225mgSodium: 739mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g