Everyone is always sad that Taco Bell discontinued the Caramel Apple Empanadas so I decided to recreate these Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas using the air fryer! They get brushed with butter and cinnamon sugar before air frying to crispy perfection.
Apple pie filling, caramels and pie crust make these Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas easy and delicious.
Taco Bell has a habit of discontinuing some fan favorite items and people are always missing their Caramel Apple Empanadas, but you can recreate them right at home!
You only need a few ingredients to make these delicious empanadas, pie crust, apple pie filling and caramels.
You also brush them with melted butter and give them a good sprinkle of cinnamon sugar to create that delicious crust.
I love that I can make these right in the air fryer but you can also fry them or bake them if you prefer.
These are such a fast sweet treat to make and let me tell you, they are amazing with a little vanilla ice cream, it is the perfect dessert.
So if you are missing the Caramel Apple Empanadas just whip these up at home and I promise you will love them!
You will love this recipe because it is
- Easy and fast.
- Family friendly.
- Copycat of a favorite
- Sweet treat
- Made fast in the air fryer
How to make these Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas
- Full recipe below.
- In a pot stir together the apple pie filling and caramels.
- Remove from heat.
- Cut out 5 circles per pie crust.
- Fill each dough round with the apple filling.
- Fold and seal empanadas.
- Brush each empanada with butter and cinnamon sugar.
- Air fry until golden.
Ingredients you need
- Full recipe below
- Refrigerated pie crust
- Apple pie filling
- Kraft caramels
My favorite airfryer for this recipe is this Drew Barrymore one
Can I use any pie crust?
Yes, as long as it is rolled pie crust or a fresh pie dough you make yourself. Frozen pie crust will not work best in the recipe, the refrigerated ones are best.
Can I use caramel sauce?
If you had to you could but it might make the filling thinner and more runny than if you were to use the bagged caramels. I like using the Kraft Caramels you find in the baking aisle with the chocolate chips.
What size cutter for these Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas?
I used a 4 inch round cutter but you can use what you have on hand, the yield will just change if you make them bigger or smaller.
What to do with leftover filling?
If you have leftover filling it is absolutely delicious over vanilla ice cream.
Want more Taco Bell Copycat recipes? Check out these!
- Copycat Taco Bell Meximelts
- Air Fryer Taco Bell Quesadilla
- 2 boxes (15 ounces) refrigerated pie crust (4 pie crusts total)
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 (11 ounce) bag kraft caramels
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat add your apple pie filling and caramels.
- Stir together until the caramels are all melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unroll each pie crust and using a large coffee mug cut out 5 circles per pie crust so you end up with 20 circles of dough.
- Place about a tablespoon of the filling into the middle of each dough round.
- Carefully fold over the circle and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Melt the butter and brush onto each empanada.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkles over each empanada.
- Working in batches place your empanadas in the air fryer and air fry at 330 for 10 minutes. Air fryers differ greatly so just check your empanadas to make sure they are not burning.
- Repeat with the other batches.
- You can bake these in the oven at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- You don’t want to substitute a liquid caramel as it may make the filling to loose and more prone to leak out of the empanadas.
- You can also deep fry these in oil if you like.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up 3 days.
- If you have any leftover filling it is delicious over vanilla ice cream.