Copycat Meximelts are a drive thru favorite you can make at home! Melty cheese, flavorful beef and pico make these a family favorite!
Copycat Meximelts are going to be you’re new favorite dinner, they are so super quick!
Hey guys!! Can I talk to you a little bit about a guilty pleasure I have?
I love Taco Bell, Taco Bell=life! Every Friday night I look forward to some cheap tacos and Netflix bingeing with my husband, I mean is there anything more a busy stay at home mom could want at the end of a long week with 2 rambunctious boys?
Now I could eat Taco Bell every day (it technically would be cheaper than buying groceries) but I mean the drive thru ladies already know me by name which is a sign I already go there too much as it is.
Sooo I decided to make some of my drive thru favorites at home and share them with you guys!
Meximelts are my favorite and always have been. My grandma introduced me to them when I was younger and while most kids my age wanted chicken nugget kids meals, I wanted Meximelts.
These may be an overlooked item on Taco Bell’s menu but trust me they are amazing!
Meximelts are a perfect blend of seasoned ground beef, melty spicy cheese and pico de gallo, yum! The best part is all the cheese! These are super cheesy, full of melty, gooey cheese with a bit of spice, but just a little bit of spice, these are not too spicy at all. My picky eater kids who don’t like spice love these!!
We love recreating these at home because they are so easy to make, everyone loves them and they are a really quick meal. For a super authentic taste you can use the Taco Bell brand taco seasoning mix from your grocery store, however any taco seasoning store bought or homemade is fine.
The reason I use the microwave to melt the cheese as opposed to an oven is because the oven would make the shell crispy and you want it to be as soft as possible to really replicate the original Meximelt.
So the next time that Meximelt craving hits or you just want to do a different spin on taco night, try these Meximelts, they are a definite winner!
- Brown and season ground beef
- Place some beef filling and a bit of each of the cheeses in each tortilla
- DO NOT skimp on the cheese, these are supposed to be super cheesy
- Add a little pico, or salsa, or neither if you like
- Roll in paper towels just barely dampened with water
- Microwave 30 seconds a piece or a minute for 2
What I used to make these!
- Cheese grater: You can use pre-shredded to save time but sometimes it can be hard to find pre-shredded pepper jack, so I use my favorite grater for that.
- Copper Pan: I am in love with copper pans! They are perfectly non-stick making clean up a breeze!
- Taco Bell Taco Seasoning: Stock up and make tons of yummy copycat dinners.
Can I freeze these?
While I have not tried it; I think if properly wrapped these could freeze well! I also think they would be great made ahead and popped in the fridge to have on hand all week. A damp paper towel while microwaving will make them fresh again!
How could I freeze these?
I would wrap them individually in parchment paper, plastic wrap or aluminum foil and then pop them all into a freezer safe ziploc bag. I think they would last 2 months give or take.
Can I double this recipe?
This is such an easy recipe to double or even triple! Just double or the triple the ingredients and you are good to go!
Can I use different cheese?
You can use different shredded cheese, however for a truly authentic copycat the cheese I listed is best.
Can I use salsa instead of pico?
You can!!! Again it won’t be a perfect copycat but you can use salsa if you prefer.
Can I leave out the pico?
Of course!! Between you and me that is how I order it at Taco Bell, no pico!
Are these spicy?
Nope!! Even with the pepper jack these are not spicy. The pepper jack does give them a little kick but even my picky eaters who don’t like spice love these Meximelts. Now if you are still a little worried about the spice level you can certainly omit the pepper jack.
Can I make these spicier?
Yes!! If you want to add a little more heat you can do so by adding more pepper jack than colby, getting a spicier pico or by even just adding some Taco Bell hot sauce which you can buy right at the store, or if you’re like me you should have a drawer with plenty of condiment packets in there and I am sure there are some Taco Bell hot sauce packets in there.
Can I make these with ground turkey?
You sure can! You can lighten these up a bit by using ground turkey!
Want more copycat recipes? Check these out!!
- Copycat TacoBell Mexican Pizza
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Nuggets
- Copycat Wendys Chili
- Copycat Egg McMuffin
- Copycat Capt D’s Fried Fish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning or homemade equivalent
- 8 oz pepperjack shredded
- 8 oz cheddar or colby shredded
- 8-10 tortillas
- Pico de gallo -store bought or homemade
- Brown and drain the ground beef.
- Season with taco seasoning.
- Place some cheddar cheese on each tortilla (these are supposed to be extra cheesy)
- Spoon on some of the beef filling.
- Top with shredded pepperjack.
- Spoon on a little pico de gallo.
- Roll each tortilla up and wrap in a slightly damp paper towel.
- Microwave 2 at a time for 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy!