These gyros slow cook up nice and tender and are perfect piled in a pillowy pita.
These Slow Cooker Gyros are so full of flavor and a crowd pleaser! Beef roast cooks all day in the slow cooker with onions, seasonings and lemon juice until it is fall apart tender. Then you pile it high on pillowy soft pita bread with a homemade tzatziki
sauce that you also get the recipe for! These are always a favorite!
I love an easy dinner that I can just throw in the slow cooker that everyone will love and these gyros are just that!
I love that I can just pop everything in the slow cooker and have a delicious, flavorful dinner that everyone loves. Whenever I find a dinner that everyone in my house likes I get excited! And for it to be in the slow cooker so I’m not cooking over the stove all day? Perfect!
This gyro meat is tender, falls apart and makes the best gyros. I love it as a gyro but you can use this meat for so much. The leftovers are fabulous.
We like to pile this on soft, fluffy pita bread with fresh sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce and homemade tzatziki sauce.
This feeds my family with plenty of leftovers. The sauce just gets better as it sits, so this meal is perfect to make in the beginning of the week and eat on for the rest of the week.
This is also a great meal for a crowd, you can double this easily and it is great for get togethers. Just set out the sauce and all the toppings and everyone will love it!
I promise your whole family will love these Slow Cooker Gyros.
You will want to make this dinner again and again! We do!
You will love this recipe because it is
- Easy and fast.
- Full of flavor.
- A set it and forget it meal.
- Perfect for weeknights.
My favorite slow cooker for this recipe is this Hamilton Beach one.
Can I use another meat?
We love this with the beef but you could also a pork roast or boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Those would be great alternatives to the beef roast.
What should I serve this with?
These are really great with some crispy fries tossed in a little greek seasoning and parmesan cheese. I serve these on pillowy pita bread with lots of tzatziki sauce, sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, tomatoes and lettuce.
Can I make this spicy?
You can add red pepper flakes to give this a kick.
● Beef chuck roast- I use a 2 1/2 – 3 pound roast for this recipe
● Onion- I use a large sweet onion
● Garlic- You can use fresh, I use jarred to save time.
● Dried oregano- If you can find greek seasoning that will also work.
●Lemon- the juice gives this a little tang and is used in the tzatziki sauce.
● Greek yogurt- You want to use greek as it is thicker
● Cucumber- you will grate this for the sauce and I slice it for the sandwiches
● Dill- Fresh is best for this recipe
How to make these Gyros
- FULL RECIPE BELOW
- 1. In your slow cooker place the roast.
- Add the onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water.
- 3. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH 4-6 hours until tender and easily shreds with a fork.
- Prepare the tzatziki sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and dill.
- To make the gyros spread the tzatziki sauce on a pita bread, add the meat and you can serve with red onion, lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
Want more Slow Cooker dinners? Check these out!
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- ● 3-4 pound beef chuck roast
- ● 1 onion, sliced
- ● 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ● 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ● 1 teaspoon salt
- ● 1 teaspoon pepper
- ● One lemon, juiced
- ● ¼ cup water
- ● 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ● ½ cup grated cucumber
- ● 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ● 1 garlic clove, minced
- ● ¼ teaspoon salt
- ● 1 tablespoon fresh dill
1. In your slow cooker place the roast.
2. On top place the onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water.
3. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH 4-6 hours until tender and easily shreds with a fork.
4. Prepare the tzatziki sauce.
5. In a small mixing bowl combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice,
garlic, salt and dill.
6. To make the gyros spread the tzatziki sauce on a pita bread, add
the meat and you can serve with red onion, lettuce, tomato and
● Store leftovers in an airight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
● You can make the tzatziki sauce ahead when you put the roast in, the
longer it sits the better!