A cool and creamy Pig Pickin’ Tres Leches Cake is studded with oranges and soaked in three milks then topped with whipped cream mixed with crushed pineapple for one fabulous luscious dessert everyone will love!
Hey guys! I am soo over summer, it was fun at first all pool time and BBQs but now it’s just sticky and gross and nobody wants to do anything but sit on the sofa in the AC till fall.
But I am going to share one more summer recipe for ya!
This is a take on my favorite cake, Pig Pickin’ Cake. Now if you don’t know what that is I will explain. Here in the South a pig pickin’ is exactly what it sounds like. We have a big party at my grandparent’s and we all swim while the men roast a whole pig. When it’s all done and roasted up everyone lines up with their plates and picks whatever pork they want and pile in on their plates.
It is customary to make this delicious cake for every pig pickin’. It is traditionally a yellow cake that has mandarin oranges in the batter. It is iced simply with whipped topping that is mixed with crushed pineapple.
It is my all time favorite cake, I ask for it every birthday and have my whole life.
Now a new cake I discovered is Tres Leches Cake, I had never made one or tasted one until I saw the Pioneer Woman make one. I followed her recipe and my grandma and I fell in love! It was so cool and creamy and moist and just flat out delicious!
How I decided to mash up the two cakes into one geniusly luscious cake is beyond, but I did and it is freakin awesome!
Now disclaimers first (because internet people can be mean) this is not a traditional tres leches cake, I know this, I have made traditional tres leches before and this is not it, but it is a variation.
Also yes I used “cool whip”, it is the traditional way to make the frosting for pig pickin’ cake, for those of you that think cool whip is the devil you may whip your own, I, however, eat cool whip out of the container, so Imma stick with that.
Now onto this yumminess.
Get more summer desserts like this below!
- One box yellow cake mix
- Water, eggs, oil according to cake mix directions
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- One 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- One 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- One 8 ounce container cool whip
- One 8 ounce can crushed pineapple drained
- One 11 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 8-10 maraschino cherries
- Prepare cake batter according to box directions and add in 1/2 cup of mandarin oranges and stir well breaking up the oranges.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes
- Mix heavy cream, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk together and stir well.
- After cake has cooled poke the cake liberally with a fork all over.
- Pour the milk mixture over cake.
- Mix cool whip and pineapple together and spread all over cake.
- Decorate with remaining oranges and cherries.
- Chill in fridge for at least 4 hours before servings.