As we come to the end of our grilling series I thought I would end it on a sweet note. While grilling is usually associated with hot dogs, ribs, burgers and steak I wanted to give you a little dessert treat you can also whip up over the fire.
Grilled Pineapple & Caramel Sundae.
It is oh so yummy and hey it’s fruit so that means it’s healthy right :) lol. This recipe is super simple, just a few ingredients prepared in a way to really let their flavors shine through. Fresh pineapple grilled to bring out it’s sweetness over delicious vanilla ice cream and all of it drizzled with warm gooey caramel straight from the stove. It is heaven in a dish.
Since it takes no time to prepare and you can make the sauce ahead of time it makes it perfect for entertaining. Everyone enjoys a bowl full of ice cream on a warm summer night, so surprise your guests by serving this. It reminds me of pie a la mode without the crust.
By the way did you know that pineapple and caramel go together like peanut butter and jelly? It is sooo true, they make an amazing combination.
Don’t be scared to make your own caramel sauce, it is super easy too and once you make it once you will be making it allll the time (fair warning! lol) It makes such a difference to have the caramel made from scratch, it is so rich and buttery and it perfect for the tangy fresh bite of the pineapple.
There couldn’t be a more delicious, more simple dessert to make from the grill, you have to try it.
- Fresh Pineapple
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the sugar over medium-high heat, whisking as the sugar begins to melt. Continue to cook the sugar until it reaches a dark amber color. At that point, whisk in the salt, and then add the butter all at once and whisk until it is completely incorporated into the sugar. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the heavy cream. Continue to whisk until it forms a smooth sauce.
- Allow to cool and thicken.
- Slice the fresh pineapple into spears and place on hot grill for about 1-2 minutes per side, you are just looking to get some grill marks on them.
- While warm slice the pineapple into chunks and spoon over vanilla ice cream. Drizzle the ice cream and pineapple with the caramel sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!!
So this is the end of our grilling series but come back next week when we start our 4th of July series!! Woot!!
Now head on over to Dana’s for one last yummy dish from her grill and check out her Bruschetta with Whipped Feta and Grilled Crostini! Yum!
Want even more glorious grilling goodies? Check out the rest of the series here —->
Follow me on Pinterest for more yummy recipes!!