So this dish is made in my house probably wayyy too much for a recipe with a pound of bacon in it, but it has cabbage in it so that makes it healthy ya know lol! This is a very simple dish that is huge on flavor, we usually have aside some garlic roasted chicken or just some sliced up kielbasa but it is hearty enough to be a meal on it’s own.
Bacon is diced and fried up, onions and cabbage caramelized till tender and the whole shebang is tossed with egg noodles and a sprinkle of black pepper and it is to die for!!
Some nights when I make this I will take a shortcut and use a bagged coleslaw mix instead of chopping a whole head of cabbage, however, a head of cabbage is so ridiculously cheap so it’s a price vs convenience thing on whether you use the coleslaw mix or a head of cabbage. If you do go the packaged coleslaw route you do get some carrots in the mix usually and that just adds a little something extra to the dish.
Four ingredients make a super simple noodle dish that even my kids love and ask for. Even if you don’t think you like cabbage you definitely have to give this recipe a try!!! (I mean really has bacon ever steered you wrong?)
Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Noodles
- 1 pound of bacon diced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- A head of cabbage thinly sliced or package coleslaw mix
- 1 Bag 1 pound egg noodles
- Fry the diced bacon in a large skillet till crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towel, place in large bowl.
- Drain all but 3-4 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Add thinly sliced onion to the bacon grease in skillet and cook till caramelized.
- Add onions to bacon in bowl.
- Add cabbage to the skillet and cook until tender.
- Boil egg noodles, drain.
- Add cabbage and egg noodles to bowl with onions and bacon.
- Add in a little black pepper.
- Toss and serve!