This is more of a technique than a recipe. We love fried fish in our house, the kids love it too (always a plus for a recipe). I wanted to make it a little healthier and a little easier, no one like standing over a pan of hot oil while you stink up your house with fried fish smell lol. So I devised this little technique to get crunchy fish right from the oven. Its simple and I guarantee you ll never miss the deep fried fish your used to!
- Preheat oven to 450-500.
- Start with whatever thin sliced frozen whitefish you like (we use tilapia only).
- Put all your fish filets in a bowl of cold water.
- Prepare another bowl with cornmeal and salt (salt to your discretion).
- At this point you can add whatever seasonings you like, pepper, garlic salt, cayenne, whatever you like, we stick with just salt around here.
- Take a rimmed cookie sheet and add 3-5 T peanut oil (or canola) and coat the pan.
- Dip your fish in the cornmeal and place on baking sheet.
- Spray tops of fish with cooking oil and place pan in oven.
- Cook until fish is crispy and cooked through (depends of thickness of fish, but shouldn’t take too long)
There you go “fried” fish without the hassle. :)