Hey guys!! Boy do I have the ultimate recipe for you today! What is more comforting that mac and cheese? Gooey, creamy, comfort in a bowl!! Well what if you took that mac and cheese and put it into flaky buttery pie crust? Well now that is just a slice of heaven!
I saw a recipe for Macaroni and Cheese Pie in a magazine I was flipping through the other day and though it sounded a little different it sounded delicious nonetheless. So I got right to work to make one for dinner.
You can make pie dough from scratch or buy refrigerated or frozen (shh I won’t tell). Pie crust can be a pain in the butt to master but The Pioneer Woman has the Perfect Pie Crust recipe on her blog and it is my favorite to use.
I will give you the recipe for the mac and cheese I used for this pie but feel free to use your favorite recipe and you can add in broccoli and chicken or bacon (mmmm bacon…) or anything you like to add to your mac and cheese.
I am going with the straightforward plain jane approach here so you get the base recipe and can go nuts with it. This recipe will fill 2 pie crusts, so there will be plenty of mac and cheese loving to go around.
Can I just say this pie is incredible?! We loved it. It is definitely hearty and filling and perfect for those summer BBQs that are popping up every where. I mean what is more potluck friendly that mac and cheese and pie, so put the two together and you have one match made in heaven….. cheesy delicious heaven…
So go shred some cheese (I do insist you grate your own cheese) and make this Macaroni and Cheese Pie for your family, they will love you forever!!
- 2 Pie crusts from scratch, refrigerated or frozen
- 4 cups Dried Macaroni
- 1 whole Egg Beaten
- 1/4 cup 1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
- 2-1/2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 pound Cheese Grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Cook macaroni until very firm. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat egg.
- In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly.
- Pour in milk and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt if needed.
- Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour into 2 pie crust, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes and serve!
Follow me on Pinterest for more yummy recipes!!