Hey y’all! It’s snowing!!!! We don’t get a lot of snow here in Virginia so when we do it can be pretty exciting. It also has ushered in some freezing temps, it is going to be 8 degrees tomorrow night!!! That is super super low for us. On top of it all being a milkman my husband has to work in that awful weather all night long.
So I like to make sure I send my husband to work with a nice warm meal in him. This Chicken & Rice Soup fits that bill. Not only is it simple to prepare but it is filling, warm and makes the best leftovers!
Mine always ends up a little thicker than soup, but you can always add more stock to thin it out per your taste.
This is also a great base soup, you can add any veggies you like to it. We keep it simple with just carrots, but you can add zucchini, corn, broccoli or anything you like!
If I have the time I will start the soup with bone in, skin on chicken and then pick it off the bone. If I am in a rush (or just being lazy) I use boneless skinless, I like that I can take them straight from the freezer and pop them right in the soup pot, no planning ahead needed. In fact now that I think about it I always have the ingredients on hand to make this yummy soup!
So next time the weather outside is frightful, just whip up this delicious crowd pleasing soup and the whole family will be happy and warmed up!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or can use bone in skin on, allow for longer cooking time
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small onion chopped
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon salt, taste and add more if needed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 stick of butter
- Saute onion and carrots in soup pot until slightly tender.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT the rice and butter into the a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- When chicken is cooked remove from pot and shred.
- Add rice to boiling pot and cover.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook 16-18 minutes until rice is tender.
- Add in chicken and stick of butter.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed (rice requires a good amount of salt)
Now head on over to Dana’s and check out her yummy Chunky Beef Chili!
Want even more delicious soup to warm you up? Check out these yummy soups….
Follow me on Pinterest for more yummy inspiration!!