I love anything with pumpkin, its amazing how one orange vegetable can instantly transport you to autumn even in the middle of summer (yes I have made pumpkin pie in the dead heat of July lol). I am drawn to any recipes involving pumpkin sweet or savory. So many recipes however tend to follow along the lines of pumpkin pie, they all can kind of taste the same. This recipe however takes a step back from the traditional pumpkin pie genre and creates an extremely moist cake with an out of this world frosting. It also jut so happens that the darkness of the cake and the light orange coloring of the frosting make this a perfect dessert for any Halloween party. I love this recipe because it is very easy starting with a cake mix, its delicious and gorgeous. I hope you try this recipe for your Halloween bash!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Buttercream (adapted from Picky Palate)
- 1 box devils food cake mix
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 15 ounce can pumpkin (reserving 2 Tablespoons for buttercream)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons reserved pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 9×5 inch bread pans or a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a stand or electric mixer, place cake mix, pudding mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, sour cream and can of pumpkin–mix all ingredients until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide cake batter evenly into prepared bread pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.
3. While cakes are baking prepare the buttercream. Place butter, reserved 2 tablespoons pumpkin and cinnamon into stand or electric mixer. Mix on high until well combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Slowly add the milk until buttercream is a nice consistency. Frost over cooled cakes, slice and serve.