Hey y’all!! We are getting ready to get hit by another snow storm so I figured I would close out our soup series with a big steamy bowl of Brunswick Stew. I love this stew, it has a bbqy, tomatoey base filled with shredded chicken, butterbeans and corn.
I am a huge butterbean fan so anytime my grandma made this soup I was in heaven!
This soup is really easy to make, uses pantry/freezer staples and is full of flavor! It is a little different than your usual soup and I think that is why I enjoy it so much, a little outside the box for some, but for me it has been a family favorite forever simmering away on my grandma’s stove.
And of course the leftovers just get better and better. I love to eat mine with some buttered saltine crackers and to me that is just the perfect meal! Tender shredded chicken, creamy butterbeans and that flavorful base that get it’s flavor from onions, garlic and your favorite BBQ sauce perfect for dunking your crackers in.
So if you are about to get hit with yet another snow storm or are just looking for a new soup to fill your mug try my Brunswick Stew and you will be happy you did!!
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups frozen butterbeans lima beans
- 1-2 cups of corn frozen or canned works fine
- Saute your onion and garlic in your soup pot in a little butter.
- When tender add in 6 cups of chicken stock and your chicken.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pot.
- Add to pot the Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and BBQ sauce.
- Add in your frozen butterbeans and corn.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile shred your chicken.
- Add your shredded chicken back in and salt and pepper to taste.
Head on over to Dana’s and check out her Wonton Egg Drop Soup, yum!
Want even more delicious soup to warm you up? Check out these yummy soups….